Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Dark Knight.... Al Franken anybody?


Yes - I'm special, and here's why: "The Dark Knight" is opening tomorrow, and I saw it already. That's right! I'm a lot more special than any of you ever imagined.

How special am I? I was at a "special screening" of "The Dark Knight" two weeks ago. Yes, that makes me very special. It was only the second screening of the film anywhere in the world, and I was there. Why was I there? Pretty lame, in truth.... The Screen Actors Guild randomly selected me as a nominating member for the SAG Awards committee. I think there are actually hundreds of people in the "committee" which never seems to meet or even "lunch." None of my committee colleagues ever calls. We don't bowl together or play softball. We don't sit at a giant semi-circular table in large, cushy leather chairs and discuss anything. Nothing. In fact, considering the paltry number of auditions that I get per year (I call it A.D.D. - "Audition Deficit Disorder"), my SAG membership itself thus far has amounted to little more than a very, very expensive magazine subscription.

Certainly now, however, my acting career is all working as I get to see a handful of movies this season for free. What more could I possibly want?

But I digress - after all this is about the film "The Dark Knight," not Richard Lucas - The Dark Knight.

Many of you good friends will soon see the movie. Heath Ledger, you will see, put up a great performance as The Joker. But I couldn't help but be distracted by the exaggerated voice he uses. It sounds like a spot-on impersonation of Al Franken. Exact same deep, deep resonance but high nasally projection. And the timing, too. Basically it's an Al Franken in real bad need of a glass of water - a brilliant choice. It's a great voice. But sadly, I'll never get to find out if this is what Ledger was doing, nor how he came up with that choice.


After the screening, there was a Q&A. Christopher Nolan was there, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal as well. My friend, Reuben, who accompanied me there (see, if you were nicer to me, it might have been you) asked a great question about the special effects, and yet, all I could do during the Q&A was try to figure out a way that I could ask any member of the panel if Heath Ledger was doing an Al Franken voice without sounding like a wise-ass. (As a side note, I haven't figured out a way to do very much without sounding like a wise-ass.) Unfortunately because of this tormented self-consciousness, I never quite formulated the question reasonably in my mind, nor did I hear most of the Q's and few of the A's, so I am as in-the-dark now as I was before.

When I brought Al Franken's voice up later, Reuben thought I was crazy. Some friend... Silently, so as not to cause use a big ruckus about it, I assured myself: "Reuben obviously doesn't know who Al Franken is, and he's got a tin ear for inflection - that's for damn sure." Surely now he will say that he does know Franken, but I assure you my friends, he doesn't because if he did, he would have been hearing just what I was hearing. It's his sanity or mine.

My question is - is anyone with me on the voice thing? All you brilliant actors out there? Radio listeners / Fans of Franken? Minnesotans? Classic SNL fans?

Just one bit of agreement in this world and I'd be forever satisfied.

10 comments:

  1. kudos to the makers Dark Knight for their record breaking opening weekend... it's no wonder there's talk of another one coming out ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you and the Al Franken thing. I thought I was watching Ledger play Franken as The Joker. Couldn't get past it. Mannerisms, smile, everything. I knew I couldn't be the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - might I compliment you on your keen ear? My goal now is to speak with Franken, and get him to do a Joker impersonation, when he is really thirsty that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the exact same thing that I thought when I saw the movie! I'm so glad to see that someone else agrees with me--it's a spot on Al Franken impersonation. I live in Minnesota and I keep mentioning it to friends of mine when they say they've seen the movie. Everyone agrees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christina:

    It's great to know that the people of Minnesota hear this as well since Al's a hometown boy, and you're probably hearing an awful lot from him these days. I would just love to hear him say, "Kill the Batman," especially after eating a box of salty crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard/thought that too! Also a little touch of Andy Dick to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there such a thing as "a little touch" of Andy Dick?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't watch anything of "The Dark Knight" other than snippets from the trailers until I saw the whole thing on DVD earlier this week. I also hadn't heard or read anything about the similarity between the Joker's voice and vocal mannerisms, and those of Al Franken, and those similarities had never occurred to me before. But after watching the entire movie, all I could think about was Ledger's Joker saying, "So how is all of this going to affect me, the Joker...?"

    The resemblance was uncanny -- voice, timing, vocabulary, vocal tics -- it's almost as if Franken had looped the vocal track for Ledger. So I googled "Ledger and Franken," and discovered several sites, including this one. So no, you are not at all alone.

    Read "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Salman Rushdie. For many years, I thought the perfect voice for villain Khattam Shud in an animated version of the tale would be Bob Newhart. Now, I'm not so sure. Give Franken a shot. He might very well nail it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm coming a little late to this discussion...found it after typing "The joker is Al Franken?" in the search...My husband and I watched The Dark Knight tonight and that's all I could see...Al Franken. Ledger sounded just like him and he looked like him too....with badly applied lipstick. I'm from Minnesota and it was OK because I detest Franken, but still...just a bit disconcerting! I wondered if anyone else thought this and LO...here you are! (My husband was ambivalent about the Al Franken thing...he annoys me...).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find he is more similar to singer Tom Waits!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSc6E4yG9s

    ReplyDelete